One Year Ago.. {Labor}

One year ago from today was October 28, 2011. It was a Friday. I remember this day as if it were yesterday.

I went to bed Thursday night in pain. I knew I was having contractions. I mentioned it to Kade, but I think he was already asleep, so I just did my best to sleep as well. Now with a big ol’ hard belly, it’s hard to get comfortable. And to make things worse, Karsyn LOVED to kick and play around when I was ready for bed. So I had to wait for him to settle down before I could even get some-what comfy.

Friday morning, Kade got up at 7 and went to work. I went about my day, just as if it were any other day. But I was still in pain. Still having contractions. Now, don’t get me wrong. I DID want to have my baby by Sunday {which would have been my birthday}. Kade insisted that Karsyn couldn’t be born on my birthday. Whatever.

The night before, I had looked up ways to naturally induce labor, but wasn’t too keen on trying anything I had read about, so on Friday, I walked. Around noon, I my contractions were getting harder and closer together, but I tried to keep my mind off of it. I ran some errands and then went back home. Then I called my mom and told her what was going on. She said I needed to put my watch on and time my contractions.

Nah. That’s lame.

I walked down to Albrentson’s to get myself a refill of Dr. Pepper. I talked to my mom on the phone the whole way there and back. She was timing them for me. They were about 5-6 minutes apart at this time. When I got home, I just relaxed and did whatever for a while. Then about 3, I went to Family Dollar to get some Christmas presents for my siblings. It was about 4 and my mom called again. She asked the same questions she had been asking me all day.

Are you okay? Where are you? What are you doing? Have you been having more contractions? How far apart are they? Do you need to go to the hospital?

I shopped around the town til about 5. Then I went to my step-moms salon to get a pedicure. It was nice and relaxing. But after about an hour of being at the salon, I started to really not feel good, so I went home. When I got home, I laid in bed and tried to get ahold of Kade. I had been calling him all day, to no avail. I knew he wouldn’t answer because they don’t take their phones on the site, but just on the off chance. About 7, I called my mom and told her I thought it was time. My contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart. She said she’d be right there to get me {she lives 15 minutes away}. So I called my step-mom and let her know what was going on. She said she’d be right there and my mom could just meet us at the hospital. So she came and got me. I still didn’t even have a bag packed haha. I just never really thought too much about it, so we shoved a few things in a bag and left. I called Kade’s mom and let her know what was going on. Then I tried to call Kade some more, but no answer. So my step-mom said she would figure it out. Her friend, Shelly, is married to Kade’s boss, so she called Shelly and Shelly called Eli and Eli called someone and told them to tell Kade.

We checked in to the hospital and went back to my room. We had to go through the Emergency Room by this time because the front was closed. The nurse tried to push me to the room in the wheelchair. Psh. Wheelchairs are for sissy’s {not really! No offense to anyone! I’m just a super stubborn and independent person}.

I don’t want that. I can walk.

The nurse looked puzzled and said she would follow behind with the wheelchair, just in case. I made it to the room and they hooked me to a bunch of machines.

Kade finally showed up about 8, COVERED in Frac Mud. {He works in the oil field.} So he jumped in the shower, but there was no soap or shampoo {and I didn’t bring any!}, so he just had to use the hand soap that was by the sink to scrub off as best as he could.

After a while, I was taken in to the labor and delivery room, where I was checked every hour and continued to have contractions and was very uncomfortable. Nothing really progressed. I was dilated to a 3 when I checked in. So I just laid on that stupid, uncomfortable bed for FOREVER it seemed like. My doctor was already at the hospital dealing with some other people, but she had been there all day and night, so she was sleeping and just had her nurses check in on me so she could get some rest before my delivery.

The pain was nothing I couldn’t handle. Don’t get me wrong, yes, it hurt, but I could handle it. I’d say I was at probably a 3-4 and having FULL on contractions. About 12 midnight, I was dilated to a 5 {that is what you have to be to get an epidural}. They asked if I wanted an epidural and I said yes. Not because it hurt, but because I was super scared. I didn’t know what to expect. So about an hour later, the anesthesiologist {wow! I spelled that right first try!} came in and put a HUGE needle in my back. That was the worst pain of my whole labor experience. It hurt so bad. And he put it in during a contraction, so that sucked.

After that was all done, the nurses told Kade and I to get some rest {by this time, my step-mom had gone home and my mom went to stay at my house}. She dimmed the lights and told me she’d be back in an hour to check on me. My legs were SOOOO heavy. I had to pick each one up to move. I was all tingly as well. I never did get much sleep. Maybe an hour, hour-and-a-half.

I continued to SLOWLY dilate. About 8 the next morning, my moms had showed back up. I was hungry and thirsty, but I couldn’t eat or drink. I had to “munch” on ice. Fun.

Can’t I just have a drink of water?

I was told no. So that made me mad and I just let my ice melt enough for me to drink it. (: {Once again, stubborn me!} I was feeling like I was going to throw up and I told my doc and she gave me a little bag to puke in. Sure enough, I did. Just a little bit. That was the third, and final time, I had thrown up during my whole pregnancy. Also, by this time, my epidural had completely worn off and I couldn’t get more.

“I want you to be able to feel when you need to push.”

I continued to lay in my stupid bed until I was at a 10. My mom was trying to cheer me up. She opened the window and said, “Look! The sun!” In return, I said,

The only sun {son?} I want to see is my own!

{Hooked up to all the monitors.}

{Mommy and Daddy to be!}

{My contractions.}

{Feeling large and in charge miserable.}

{Come out, come out!}

To be continued….


So, what do ya think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s